Friday, June 4, 2010

Ouch! These weird ants have huge biting jaws on them

 Ouch! These weird ants have huge biting jaws on them
STOMPer M spotted this colony of unusual-looking ants near her home. The 1.3 cm long soldier ants had large mandibles and looked like they could give a painful bite.

In an email today (June 4) the STOMPer wrote:

"I was shocked to find these 'pincher ants' near where I live. They were found in Pasir Ris along the Sungei Api Api path between Block 514 and 513.

"Their colony was about 100 metres across from what I could see at night. I was alerted of their presence because they were rustling the leaves there.

"Those with the pincers are about 1.3 cm long and the worker ants are about 1 cm long each.

"I blew onto them and they went into attack mode. It was a bit scary because there were so many. Not something you expect to see at a HDB estate."

 Ouch! These weird ants have huge biting jaws on them

Here's another sighting of the termite species Macrotermes carbonarius, which I already blogged about recently here.